Friday, July 17, 2009

Eye On the Temple

I wanted to leave these words with you girls:
I have been with many of you since you first arrived in Beehives. I have seen some of you arrive as shy Beehives and blossom into confident young women. There is a great change that comes over you when you leave Primary and enter into young women. I am not just talking about the physical changes that come but also the spiritual. I see as you truly gain testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have watched as you enter into the Lord's Holy Temple and perform work for the dead. I see the spirit that comes over you when you are in His Holy Temple.


I watch as you make choices in your lives. I've watched some struggle trying to find who they are and what is their purpose here. I have prayed and pleaded with the Lord to help you in all that you are doing and struggling with. I know the Lord loves you and is aware of your struggles and the things that concern you.


I know that the Lord has a personalized plan for each of you. Following His special plan for you will help you to complete the mission and callings you promised you'd fulfill in the premortal life.
I want you to do something for me -- I want you to keep your eye on the Temple. If your focus and goal is the temple all the other goals found in your Personal Progress and For the Strength of Youth will be accomplished.


President Thomas S. Monson has told us: "As we touch the temple, the temple will touch us."


Throughout your lives many different paths will be placed before you -- some good and some not so good. By keeping your focus on the temple the Spirit will guide you as you step out on those unknown paths.


President Gordon B. Hinckley said: "The Temple is a symbol of strength, a haven of peace, a sanctuary of service, a school of instruction, a place of revelation, . . . . a house of covenants."


Sister Elaine S. Dalton counseled us in this past conference: Prepare yourselves spiritually and qualify to enter into our Heavenly Father's presence. Prepare now for the temple, the mountain of the Lord. Never allow the goal of the temple to be out of your sight. Walk into His presence in purity and virtue, and receive His blessings--even "all that he hath."


I want you to know and understand that the temple is the most perfect place on earth to gain a vision of eternity. We are taught and instructed on our purpose and meaning of life here upon the earth.


"The temple is an ever-present reminder that God intends the family to be eternal. How fitting it is for mothers and fathers to point to the temple and say to their children, "That is the place where we were married for eternity." By so doing, the ideal of temple marriage can be instilled within the minds and hearts of your children . . . "


I love each and every one of you very much. It is my prayer that you will keep your eye on the temple. After High School has been said and done it will all fade away and you will be left standing prayerfully with your focus still on the temple. Some of your most important choices will be made now through your teenage years. Please, listen to your parents. They love you. Listen to the word of the Lord through scripture study and prayer. He loves you. This is a wonderful happy time of your life. Enjoy it within the standards of the Lord and you will remain happy -- without the burden of guilt.


I expect to continue to hear about the wonderful things and difficult things that are happening in your life. Remember I have Facebook now!


I want you to know that I have a testimony of the temple. As soon as I walk through those sacred doors I feel closer to Heaven. I testify of the Spirit that comes with attending the temple. I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live. I testify that they love you.


Last of all I want to leave you with this poem:


God's Plan


What made us friends in the long ago
When we first met?
Well I think I know:
The best in me and the best in you
Hailed each other because they knew
That always and always since life began
Our being friends was part of God's plan.


I love you ---- Love, Sister Heaney

No comments:

Post a Comment